Yes, it’s officially that time of year. When there is a cool breeze in the air, leaves change to yellow and orange, and the return of all things pumpkin spice begins! Whether you wait all year for the classic pumpkin spice latte or prefer to get your fix in other forms, pumpkin spice is undeniably the most festive autumn flavor.
We’ve found many ways to love this fall spice combo, from warm breakfast meals to sweet treats the kids can help bake and hearty snacks ideal for long days on the trail. Enjoy four of our favorite pumpkin spice recipes perfect for satisfying your cravings.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
It’s the drink that launched a thousand pumpkin spiced flavored products, the one and only pumpkin spice latte (PSL). The PSL may have earned its fame in coffee shops, but making this cup of sweet, fall flavors at home is surprisingly easy and just as flavorful! Make any chilly autumn morning cozier with a steaming mug (or two) of PSL. Sip your PSL in style with a glazed ceramic mug. They are available at any of The Colorado Store locations: Castle Rock, Lone Tree, and Silverthorne.
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice blend (plus more on top if you would like)
- 1 tsp agave or maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200ml) almond milk
- 1 shot of espresso or 1/2 cup of brewed coffee
- Mix the agave or maple syrup with the pumpkin spice and whisk it well until the spices have dissolved.
- Heat the milk on the stove or steam it. Add the espresso or brewed coffee to the milk, together with the tablespoon of pumpkin purée. Finally, mix in the agave pumpkin spice syrup and mix well.
- Pour your pumpkin spice latte into your favorite mug. > Link to one of ours
- Optional top your latte with whipped cream and a sprinkle more of the pumpkin spice.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
What better way to celebrate fall than spending the day baking with your kids? These cupcakes are fluffy, spiced to perfection, topped with a delicious homemade cream cheese frosting, and easy enough for kids to lend a hand. Pair them with hot apple cider or warm cocoa for the most delicious seasonal dessert.
INGREDIENTS FOR CUPCAKES:
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1+¼ tsp pumpkin spice blend
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
INGREDIENTS FOR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- ¼ cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine flour, pumpkin spice blend, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Combine pumpkin puree, sugar, egg, oil, and juice in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until just blended.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and stir with a whisk until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Cups will be a little over ¾ full but not filled past the muffin liner.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake.
- Carefully remove cupcakes from muffin tin and allow to cool on a wire baking rack.
- While they cool, make the frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, combine butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer and beat until creamy and free of lumps.
- Beat in vanilla extract and salt until incorporated. Adjust mixer speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar while mixing. After the powdered sugar is incorporated, beat at medium speed for a few seconds. Add to a piping bag to frost cooled cupcakes.
- After frosting, add a sprinkle of pumpkin spice blend to each.
Hearty Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars
These hearty pumpkin spice granola bars make a great snack. They’re portable, healthy, and perfect for a day of leaf peeping fall foliage. They are packed with a satisfying nuttiness, a hint of sweetness and are very customizable to suit your taste.
- ½ cup organic pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup nuts, chopped – pecans, walnuts, almonds, whatever you prefer
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup golden ground flaxseed
- ¾ tsp pumpkin spice blend
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted, natural creamy almond butter
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl: pumpkin seeds, nuts, oats, flaxseed, spices and salt, if using. Stir until well mixed.
- Add all wet ingredients to a medium bowl: coconut sugar, coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the spatula, press mixture firmly down into an even, very tightly packed layer.
- Bake for 24-32 minutes.
- Place the baking pan onto a cooling rack to cool for about 30 minutes or completely firm. After, lift bars and parchment paper onto the cooling rack to finish cooling for 1-2 hours.
- Slice and enjoy!
Fluffy Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
This recipe is among our favorite ways to get our pumpkin spice fix first thing in the morning. Pair these fluffy pumpkin pancakes with a pumpkin spice latte, and maple glazed bacon and you’ve created autumn brunch perfection for any pumpkin spice lover.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp pumpkin spice blend
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl (using a hand mixer), mix together all ingredients until smooth and all lumps are gone.
- Heat a greased skillet over medium heat and spoon about a 1/4 cup of batter onto the skillet. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown. Flip pancakes over when the surface is bubbly, and edges are slightly dry.
- Serve immediately with the toppings of your choice!